Historical Analysis of Period Documents
Analysis & Source Index, 1829–1834

The Church of Christ, as recorded in its own documents.

This site analyzes and indexes the organizational, legal, and architectural record left by the Church of Christ between its formation in 1829 and its 1834 name change: the councils, quorums, and presidencies it recorded; the Law of 1831; and the Plat and the House, both from 1833.

Manuscript plat of the City of Zion, drawn by Joseph Smith and others, circa June 1833
PLAT OF THE CITY OF ZION — CIRCA JUNE 1833 · manuscript courtesy the Joseph Smith Papers

Chronology, 1829–1834

Every subject on this site branches from one of these six years, and the site covers nothing before or after this range. Tap a year for a summary, then read the full paper.

1829
The Twelve Witnesses

In June 1829 at Fayette, New York, twelve witnesses are named — priesthood restored twice, a translation completed, and a copyright secured, all before there was a church to organize.

Read the paper →